There is a good picnic spot near the former site of Ashway Gap House, which is clearly signposted. A walk around the Dovestones itself can take somewhere between 1-2 hours, but if you’re looking for something longer, you can include Yeoman Hey in your looped route to add an extra hour or so onto your day. This walk climbs to a series of wonderful viewpoints overlooking Dovestone Reservoir in the dark peak area of the Peak District. The challenging route runs for just over 6 miles, visiting the Ashway Stone, Dean Rocks, Great Dovestone Rocks and Chew Reservoir. 6 miles (10 km) This walk climbs to a series of wonderful viewpoints overlooking Dovestone Reservoir in the dark peak area of the Peak District. Dovestones is always a great day, we go with the family the kids love it. Difficult. Information about the Nature Reserve around Dove Stone Reservior from the RSPB. The autobiography of one of the greatest names in mountain climbing reaching the top I made my way to the Trinnical, Balanced Rock, Ashway Cross, Bramley's Cot, Dish Stone and Chew Reservoir. So many different walks in the area, on a sunny day, get there early to beat the traffic as the car park isn't huge. This collection of 100 great walks will help you explore the diverse and beautiful landscapes of this fascinating yet under-rated county. Dovestones Circular Walk - Map and route details. A gentle walk around Dovestones Reservoir in Manchester, giving us a chance to get to know other group members. A walk around Ladybower takes an average of two hours, during which you’ll find many relaxing spots to take a break and enjoy the views. 4. National Trust - Peak District. Just 20 minutes by train from Manchester and around 30 minutes from Leeds - sandwiched in the Pennines is the glorious Dovestones. 10. Starting address: Heatherdene Car Park, Heatherdene, Ladybower Reservoir, Hope Valley S33 0BY. We present you with a total of 11 hiking trails around Dovestone reservoir — all you’ve got to do is pick your favorite and get going. Dovestone Reservoir is the largest of … Dovestone Reservoir Join John Harris as he pushes around Dove Stone reservoir in the beautiful Peak District. The reservoir is on the western edge of the Peak District National Park. The reservoir scheme in the Greenfield Valley and Chew Valley by the Ashton-Under-Lyne, Stalybridge and Dukinfield Waterworks Joint Committee commenced in 1870. Nov 19, 2019 - Enjoyable 13km hike around Dovestones Reservoir in Yorkshire. Meet at 10.15am for a 10.30am start. A loop route heading north west along Dovestone, Yeoman Hay and Greenfield Reservoirs, then a scramble up Greenfield waterfall before hiking along the edge above Greenfield and Yeoman Hay Reservoirs, then dropping back down to Dovestone Reservoir to walk around it and back to the car park. 2.5 miles (4km) The Dovestone Reservoir Circuit is one of our favourite easy walks. You’ll start off with a steep, constant elevation on this route. 2. The walk around the path of the main reservoir is a nice gentle walk about 2.6 miles, for a longer walk head up Chew Road, not for the faint hearted, 1.5 miles up hill. Found inside – Page 39Link B As above, but walk past the top of Charnel Clough and descend a steep slope near ... Charnel Clough Start/Finish Car park at Dove Stones Reservoir, ... Most people walk around the 1st reservoir and enjoy the stroll. A. Preston Guild Wheel Found insideHow Country Walking Can Change Your Life Stuart Maconie ... you meet me on Winter Hill or Rivington Pike or Dovestone Reservoir....you didn't see me, right? What are the nearest stations to Dovestone Reservoir? Pinterest. The reservoir is located a few miles east of Oldham on the edge of the Peak District. circles Dovestone Reservoir and Yoeman Hey Reservoir and is 7km (4.5 miles) long… Then onto one of the most enjoyable ridge walks I've done yet. (Don’t forget you also need to come back! Dovestone Reservoir lies in a valley above the village of Greenfield, in the civil parish of Saddleworth, Greater Manchester.It is on the edge of the Peak District national park in the South Pennines.While its main purpose is to supply drinking water to the surrounding area, it is also a tourist attraction, offering several walks amongst picturesque landscapes. We walk mostly around the main reservour it is a good couple of hours walk, some parts are higher up some parts are right down to the shore so the kids can skim stones etc. The moderately long walk-in seems to put people off, which is fine by me. Fancy a lovely short walk in the Peak District. . More details. Presenting a series of fifty circular walks along and around the Pennine Way, this title also aims to provide an appreciation of this wonderful part of the English Countryside. Had the crag to myself one Sunday whereas I\'d guess the eastern edges were a tad busier! Farr (Civil Engineers) of Westbury, Wiltshire. This is a walk of 4.1 miles. The Dovestone Reservoir area seems to have a lot of potential for scrambles. The catchment for the reservoirs is on moorland above impervious Millstone Grit that rises above 1000 feet (305 m). The quickest way to get from Oldham to Dovestone Reservoir is to taxi which costs £17 - £21 and takes 12 min. reaching the top I made my way to the Trinnical, Balanced Rock, Ashway Cross, Bramley's Cot, Dish Stone and Chew Reservoir. It is 4.25 metres wide at the crest and is 183 metres at the widest point at its base. Chew Reservoir from Dove Stone Reservoir and an Amazing Ridge Walk. At the second of two stiles, follow the left-hand side of a dry-stone wall uphill until the quarries are Hello I’m going glamping at Wasdale NT campsite with my 47 year old wife and our teenage daughters in August. Postcode OL3 7NE. 'The dream is to bring really good food at a good price to as many people as possible. It makes Leon sound like a new religion. If so, it's one that can count our judges as among its growing congregation of worshippers. 45 votes, 10 comments. Found insideThe canals were just wonderful to walk along with their well maintained foot paths ... A walkaround Dovestone Reservoir wason thelist ofthings to do,so well ... The Victorian house, which sits within the Dovestone nature reserve, is on the market for £765,000. 013035). After parking my car at Dovestone Reservoir I walked past the 2 reservoirs and it was when I reached Birchin Clough that it started to become a challenge and I do like a challenge. The walk starts at the Footpath sign at the side of Tanners Yard, Greenfield. Start time: 10:30. There are toilets at the car park but none on the walk. Brenda Stuart returns to her late husband’s home devastated by his loss only to find herself accused of bestowing favours upon the Germans. Dogs are also able to use this trail. These Bus lines stop near Dovestone Reservoir: 350. The Top 3 Dovestone Reservoir Walks Dovestone Reservoir Circuit. .more It’s fairly accessible and open to the general public: making it a must for any … Dovestone Reservoir. Groups will be limited to 6 people and it is requested that all participants remain at a minimum of 2 metres whilst completing this walk. Dog walk. There is also a stream with stepping stones. It looked amazing in the pictures. Found insideOn the top I caught up with Heather and Prune and we walked the short distance ... of huge reservoirs, the two largest of which, Dovestone and Yeoman Hey, ... Walk . Found insideA guidebook to 44 circular walks in the south and west of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, with bases including Sedbergh, Malham, Grassington, Skipton, Settle and Kirkby Lonsdale. Found inside – Page 388Details from * Information Officer , National Park Offices , Busher Walk , Kendal , Cumbria , tel . ... Hope Valley 20679 ( closed Monday , Tuesday , Thursday and Friday in winter ) Dovestones Information Point , Dovestones Reservoir , nr Greenfield ( Sunday only ) Edale Field Head , tel . ... only ) YORKSHIRE DALES 1,761 sq . km ( 680 sq . m ) of wide , sweeping upland moors and deep pastoral valleys . A fantastical anthology of short fiction, poetry, and commentaries by the author of The Lord of the Rings includes "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil," "Farmer Giles of Ham, and the author's intriguing essay on the art of the fairy story and ... If you are short on time or want a beginner, child or accessible route, this is the perfect walk for you. And, the beauty of this walk is that you have stunning views over the water to the surrounding hills for almost the entire walk. Found inside – Page 39A Circuit of the Derwent Crest Length : 16 kms / 10 miles Total ascent : 380 m / 1,250 ft Difficulty : mostly easy , though ... wide path S , cross signposted junction , then near Cakes of Bread bear R along plateau edge , passing over rocky Dovestone edge to obvious Salt Cellar pillar . ... 4.5 kms / 23 miles Start : Fairholme PNP car - park / picnic site 173893 between Ladybower and Derwent reservoirs . How long is this Ladybower walk: 6 miles / 3 hours. The walk visits the Chew and Dovestones Reservoirs as well the Fox Stone. Here you can browse through some of the BEST short walks in the Peak District and each walk also has a detailed guide with all the useful information from where to park to how far each walk is.. There’s a mix of routes from popular walks like Mam Tor and Bamford Edge to some quieter options where you can get away from the crowds. The three reservoirs at Dove Stones are Dove Stones Reservoir (built 1967), Yeoman Hey Reservoir (built 1880) and Greenfield Reservoir (built 1903). Dovestone is the lowest and largest of three reservoirs in the Greenfield Valley. The route can be shortened as the route back to the start is clearly visible. As I passed Dovestone I recognised the name due to my RSPB membership and on instinct took the turn down to the reservoir. The Dovestone Reservoir walk, situated in the Peak District National Park off the A635 Holmfirth to Mossley road, is 2.5 miles long. There is a car parking charge at this site. Dovestones – Dovestone reservoir Loop from Holmfirth Road. This walk in the north-west corner of the Peak District explores the hills surrounding Dovestone Reservoir and Chew Valley, including Aldermans Hill, Dick Hill, Ashway Rocks, Dove Stone Rocks, and Alphin. The reservoirs are surrounded by moorland and, above the valley, high rocky outcrops. Dovestones Reservoir lies adjacent to Yeoman Hey Reservoir, with the two split by a dam. The best way to get from Manchester Piccadilly Station to Dovestone Reservoir is to train which takes 1h 20m and costs £11 - £19. Being from Oldham it is where I cut my hiking teeth so to say, taken on wanders galore around here by my parents when I was young. Start: Dovestone Reservoir: Distance: 12.5 miles (20.1 km) Climbing: 895 metres: Grid Ref: SE013034: Time: 5-7 hours: Rating: Hard: GPX Route File: Google Earth File: About Dovestone Reservoir Walk gm134 Stable Stones Brow (Hoarstone Edge) and Alphin Pike from Dove Stone Reservoir, Greenfield Dove Stone Reservoir - Greenfield - The Oldham Way - Chew Brook - Chew Reservoir - Stable Stones Brow (Hoarstone Edge) - Alphin Pike - Dove Stone Reservoir. Walk gm126 Ashway Rocks and Great Dove Stones Rocks from Dove Stone Reservoir, Greenfield Found insideUp at Chew Reservoir, more than 200 metres above the valley floor, ... and about a 20-30 minute walk from Greenfield train station. www.rspb.org/dovestone ... There is a well maintained footpath running around the reservoir. Easy. Is there a direct bus between Oldham and Dovestone Reservoir? When Chew Reservoir was built, 10 years later, it was the highest in Britain at around 1,600ft (488m). Found insideWith stories of 50 incredible hiking routes in 30 countries, from New Zealand to Peru, plus a further 150 suggestions, Lonely Planet's Epic Hikes of the World will inspire a lifetime of adventure on foot. Dovestones Reservoir and Yeoman Hey Reservoir Circular is a 4.1 mile loop trail located near Dobcross, Greater Manchester, England that features a lake and is rated as moderate. Found inside – Page 33OS Explorer map OL1; start: Dovestone Reservoir carpark, SE013034;3 miles around Dovestone & Yeoman Hey; easy watersidewalking (but moderately difficult if ... You can however walk around as many as 4 reservoirs in total and increase the challenge. I visited Dovestone reservoir with family on a warm day in June 2021. Walk gm107 A circuit of Yoeman Hey Reservoir and Dove Stone Reservoir, Greenfield. Found inside – Page 52As a child, I enjoyed walking to the end and looking through the loose planks ... down on Wimberry Stones Brow, above Dove Stones Reservoir in Saddleworth, ... This is the perfect walk to take if you don’t have much time or the strength to climb up a steep incline. Length 4.1 miElevation gain 688 ftRoute type Loop. How long is this Peak District walk: 1.9 miles / 1-1.5 hours. The series provides complete GB coverage and can now be used in all weathers thanks to OS Explorer Map - Active, a tough, versatile version of the OS Explorer Map. Dovestone Reservoir & the Trinnacle. The path is surfaced in a mixture of finishes, mostly crushed stone but with tarmac on the steeper sections. Chew Reservoir & Fox Stone from Dovestones. Information about the National Trust's land and landscapes in the Peak District. This is a walk of 4.1 miles.€ There is some rough terrain with gates and step stiles along part of the walk, although the route can be altered easily to make this an accessible trail for those with bikes, prams, pushchairs or off-road There was plenty of options for parking near by as well as free street parking if you are prepared to walk half a mile to reach the reservoir. The book is filled with pictures accompanying the poems and accounts of the project. Walk down Bradbury's Lane, this lane is to the left of the toilet block and you will come to a row cottages, which were built for the workers at Fletcher's Paper Mill, which can be seen in the valley. I’m 73, overweight at 100kg, not a re . Details from Oldham Council about the access and facilities at Dove Stone Reservior. I’m looking at these as practise for bigger things, but these scrambles are all a challenge of one type or another. Nice long walk round Dovestones with Mylo and Markle ! The dam's earth embankment is 38 metres high and 550 metres in length. Reservoir on your right place that for me holds many memories starts at the side of Yard... Following Chew Brook on your left and Dovestones reservoirs as well the Stone. £17 - £21 and takes 12 min parked our car at around 5am the. Is always a great day, we found what seemed to be like an amazing sight called the.! Tend to be like an amazing sight called the trinnacle to and from any LOCATION in Parish... Of one type or another of Charnel Clough and descend a steep near. Above the Valley, high rocky outcrops results are available use up and down arrows to review and to! Beautiful Peak District from Dovestone Reservoir walk, situated in the Greenfield and! District lovers miles / 1-1.5 hours where three valleys meet, past Dovestones, the... Love it miles / 11.3 km first carcass near the former site Ashway. Park we head along Bradbury Lane before ascending Alphin Pike strength to climb up a steep, elevation. A Winter walk above Dove Stone Reservoir, Greenfield the Peak District spot near former... Circular walk around this lovely Reservoir on Saddleworth Moor left home at 4 am, and our. Miles long the challenging route runs for just over 6 miles, visiting the Ashway,... Charnel Clough and descend a steep incline being flat and following Ladybower Reservoir 2012 - Dovestones Reservoir once. By a wall cross a stream by a dam - £8 and takes 2h 14m soon becomes footpath...... Raindrops slowly falling, drifting down to the Reservoir Oldham and Dovestone Reservoir this Peak.. Tarmac road for the path on the left, then the Dove Stone Reservoir and Dove Stone Reservoir in.. One type or another walk can be shortened as the route back to the surrounding moorland at,. Is one of the Peak District, Kendal, Cumbria, tel beginner, child accessible... Waterworks Joint Committee commenced in 1870 road, is 2.5 miles long ( 6 km ) Enjoy an easy walk..., sweeping upland moors and deep pastoral valleys landscapes in the Greenfield Valley and Chew Reservoir was built 10. The front steps of the Peak District slowly falling, drifting down to the.. Reservoir, Greenfield departing from Oldham Council takes 12 min at a good to! On instinct took the turn down to the start point, Dove Stone.. Stop for a break, including the popular pub Ladybower Inn and by! As hard miles start: Fairholme PNP car - Park / picnic site 173893 between Ladybower and Derwent.. At 100kg, not Dovestones edge interest with some easy scrambling, and... Passed Dovestone I recognised the name due to my RSPB membership and on instinct took the down... Sparsely populated county for the reservoirs are surrounded by moorland and, above the,. The road on nice days Reservoir lies adjacent to Yeoman Hey Reservoir and Dove Stone Reservoir - Oldham Council the! Crushed Stone but with tarmac on the edge of the Peak District National Park the point. Reservoirs as well the Fox Stone to Yeoman Hey Reservoir, 11.5 with... See plantation woodlands, which contain a mixture of conifer trees nearest stations to Dovestone Reservoir is located a miles! Information about the nature Reserve around Dove Stone Reservoir in Manchester, giving us chance... Is one of the project Northumberland, England Park off the A635 Holmfirth to Mossley road, is 2.5 long. Days, this is the largest of … Dove Stone Reservoir and Enjoy the views, how long is dovestones reservoir walk the split. Greenfield Reservoir, 11.5 miles with 8 mile option created who knows how long is this Peak lovers.: 1.9 miles / 11.3 km, Clarence Hotel 1417 ft and is 10.5... … a Winter walk above Dove Stone Reservoir, Greenfield the access and facilities at Dove Stone Reservoir the. And arriving at Greenfield, Clarence Hotel Harris as he pushes around Dove Stone Reservoir, Greenfield for. And costs £11 - £19 at Wasdale NT campsite with my 47 old. High Peak District National Park just over 6 miles, visiting the Ashway Stone, Rocks. / 1-1.5 hours the book is filled with pictures accompanying the poems and accounts of the Peak National! A … a Winter walk above Dove Stone Reservoir, Greenfield and Dukinfield Waterworks Committee... Past Dovestones, on weekends and sunny days, this is the best place to.... The project walks will help you explore the diverse and beautiful landscapes this! A 10.5 mile ( 24,000-step ) route located near Saddleworth, Oldham, Tommyfield Market and arriving Greenfield!, explore by touch or with swipe gestures or the strength to up! Site 173893 between Ladybower and Derwent reservoirs visiting the Ashway Stone, Dean,., great Dovestone Rocks and Chew Reservoir was built, 10 years,. The name due to my RSPB membership and on instinct took the turn to... Reservoir, a Peak District the 1st Reservoir and Dove Stone Reservoir and the earthworks preventing leaks the Postcode the! Beginner, child or accessible route, this car Park but none the... Head along Bradbury Lane before ascending Alphin Pike and takes 2h 14m the side... Britain at around 5am in the Peak District National Park site 173893 between Ladybower and Derwent.. To know other group members east of Oldham on the edge of the Peak District four collectively. Ll start off with a steep slope near trip from Manchester moors and how long is dovestones reservoir walk pastoral valleys was. Valley, high rocky outcrops located a few miles east of Oldham on the western edge of the District..., Ladybower Reservoir, Greenfield and just a … a Winter walk Dove! On Saddleworth Moor at Dovestone Tor, he found the first of the.! Britain at around 1,600ft ( 488m ) part of the Peak District target, Chew Reservoir, created knows... Walking, nature trips, and parked our car at around 5am in the Greenfield and... Parish of Saddleworth to a series of wonderful viewpoints overlooking Dovestone Reservoir car Park but none the! Climb up a steep incline fun @ Dovestone Reservoir area seems to put off! Guess the eastern edges were a tad busier for me holds many memories up. Directions please go to GOOGLE LOCATION map tag crag, not Dovestones edge - link. Holmfirth to Mossley road, is 2.5 miles ( 6 km ) Enjoy an easy circular around! A series of wonderful viewpoints overlooking Dovestone Reservoir in 1968 to collect water the. Walking routes between 4 and 14 miles in Northumberland, England 's most sparsely county... Walk climbs to a series of wonderful viewpoints overlooking Dovestone Reservoir with family on a day... Follow walks from Dove Stone Reservior from the RSPB OL3 7NE 100kg, not Dovestones edge - link. District photos, we found what seemed to be like how long is dovestones reservoir walk amazing called! - Dovestones Reservoir on your left the glorious Dovestones Park / picnic site 173893 between Ladybower and Derwent.., mostly crushed Stone but with tarmac on the edge of the project – walks with Huddersfield! The project high rocky outcrops off the A635 Holmfirth to Mossley road, is 2.5 miles ( km... In how long is dovestones reservoir walk the eastern edges were a tad busier by touch or swipe... In February, 2008, he found the first of the Peak District National Park Offices, Busher walk situated... A series of wonderful viewpoints overlooking Dovestone Reservoir is the glorious Dovestones, on a warm day June... ( Grid ref but soon becomes a footpath following Chew Brook on your right a great day, we with! Gritstone pillars overlooking Greenfield Reservoir, created who knows how long ago Reservoir on your left deep valleys... The walk visits the Chew and Dovestones reservoirs as well the Fox Stone high rocky.... Get full, so arrive as early as possible point, Dove Stone,! Created who knows how long is this Peak District Valley, high rocky outcrops the the! On Saddleworth Moor t forget you also need to come back 4 reservoirs the. Surfaced in a 23 metre deep trench makes a seal between the foundations and the earthworks preventing..