Found inside – Page 408There is some difficulty at getting at his public maiden mount ; but it is believed to have been in ... for that race , of any other jockey living or dead . Found inside – Page 949The American horse Joe Ullman was second . ... the third day of the Doncaster September Meeting , September 7 , the race for the Alexandra Plate resulted in a dead heat for first place between Sir J. Miller's three - year ... Lord William Beresford's bay filly Lutetia , on which Sloan had the mount , was second . ... Wednesday , September 13 , was the second day of the Brooklyn Jockey Club's Fall Meeting . Found inside – Page 121I was taken to the course feeling half dead , but was saddled and mounted . The excitement and my natural spirits caused me to rouse myself : this , no doubt , a good deal deceived my jockey . However , after giving me my up canter , he did ... Found inside – Page 320... ghost of the great jockey Fred Archer, mounted on his favourite grey horse, ... that the gure was Archer - who had then been dead for some forty years. Found insideThe familiar summons 'Jockeys please mount' rang across the racecourse. ... The bell rang and the horses streamed from the parade ring and out on to ... Found inside – Page 141DEAD Shot ' s preparation for the Grand National Steeplechase was progressing satisfactorily , and Tim Slack was rejoiced at the improvement he had effected in the horse . Much of the credit was due to Wild Rose , who constantly schooled the horse over his fences , and they were stiff ones erected for the ... The men and lads , however , commenced to wonder who would have the mount on Dead Shot . Found inside – Page 234... is a horse which, the first jockey that can mount him, may whip and spur round and round, till jockey, or horse, or both, fall dead on the track. Found inside – Page 395Dead horse . Taken as the type of that which has ceased to be of use , and which it is vain to attempt to revive . To work , etc. ... To flog ( also to mount on ) a dead horse : to attempt to revive a feeling or interest which has died out ; to engage in fruitless effort . 1638 Brome ... 1440 Durham JS . of a jockey that he is ' all horse ' . Found inside – Page 2213To flog a dead horse : To agitate vainly for the Manège : A snaphook on a short chain or strap frame to hold a saddle . ... ( 1 ) Ordinary Language : horse - holder , 8 . spoke , or other article while being shaved by a ( a ) To mount a horse for the purpose of riding ; drawing - knife . to travel on horseback . ... ( 2 ) Mining : Said of a vein which divides into making - iron . branches for a distance . horse - jockey , 8. Found inside – Page 81... is a horse which , the first jockey that can mount him , may whip and spur round and round , till jockey , or horse , or both , fall dead on the track . Found inside – Page 361... is a horse which, the first jockey that can mount him, may whip and spur round and round, till jockey, or horse, or both, fall dead on the track. Found inside – Page 2213To flog a dead horse : To agitate vainly for the Manège : A snaphook on a short chain or strap a frame to hold a saddle . ... or other article while being shaved by a ( a ) To mount a horse for the purpose of riding ; Manège : A stocks or slinging frame for unruly drawing - knife . to travel on horseback . ... ( 2 ) Mining : Said of a vein which divides into making - iron . branches for a distance . horse - jockey , s . Found inside – Page 247In the absence of a specific contract or special agreement , the following jockey mount fees apply : Purse Winning ... a the jockey rides in the race or not . horse's racing performance . h . Dead heats . Jockeys finishing a race in a dead heat k . Found insideI'm one of the winningest jockeys in horse racing today because I close my mind to all ... Everyone around them who heard the threat stayed dead quiet. Found inside – Page 789course . the post , the horse shall be remounted , and if rea ment during a race for the purpose of interfering sonably possible ... Another jockey shall mount and then ride the ( 5 ) Any jockey whose horse has been disqualihorse over any ... ( 3 ) No jockey shall willfully strike or touch an ( 1 ) Each dead heat shall be governed in the folother jockey or another jockey's horse or equip- lowing manner . Found insideWould a horse listen if a jockey suddenly went out to the track and said ... jockeys are paid a standard fee of only thirty - five dollars a mount unless ... Found inside – Page 2213To flog a dead horse : To agitate vainly for the Manège : A snaphook on a short chain or strap a frame to hold a saddle . ... or oiher article while being shaved by a ( a ) To mount a horse for the purpose of riding ; Manège : A stocks or slinging frame for unruly drawing - knife . to travel on horseback . ... Mining : Said of a vein which divides into making - iron . branches for a distance . horse - jockey , s . Found inside“Betting on horses is a funny old game,” says a man to his friend. ... Man, “I just saw the jockey buy a book to read on the journey.” Riding the favorite ... Found inside – Page 125Reuben was a student of form , as most bookmakers are , and he could tell pretty well which horses were likely to be backed by the public , and ... He had mount in the race on one of Dalton's horses called Prairie , and he knew it had a good chance . ... We must make a dead certainty of likely horses with men up , though . Dead Cert is a classic mystery from Dick Francis, one of the greatest thriller writers of all time. Found inside – Page 10Eight Belles died at the Kentucky Derby in 2008. ... According to the Jockey Club, race-related horse fatalities occurred at a rate of 1.91 per 1,000 starts ... Found inside – Page 206... Harriss ran a horsemanship class where Scott became certified "to mount and ride in a slow walk, gallop, or dead run without saddle. Found inside – Page 2213To flog a dead horse : To agitate vainly for the Manège : A snaphook on a short chain or strap a frame to hold a saddle . ... holder , s . spoke , or oiher article while being shaved by a ( a ) To mount a horse for the purpose of riding ; drawing - knife . to travel on horseback . ... The quality , state , or occucurrier on which he spreads his skins while curry . ing , horse - thief , & c . pation of a horse - jockey . ing . Found inside – Page 130Since he lived in Maryland horse country, most of his bones came from dead horses. Through Sheer trial and error he taught himself how to mount skeletons, ... Found inside – Page 2213To flog a dead horse : To agitate vainly for the Manège : A snapbook on a short chain or strap a frame to hold a saddle . ... or other article while being shaved by a la ) To mount a horso for the purpose of riding ; Manège : A stocks or slinging frame for unruly drawing - knife ... The quality , state , or occucurrier on which he spreads his skins while curry- ing , horse - thief , & c . pation of a horse - jockey . ing . Found inside – Page 22Here, the movies give an accurate account, feats such as mounting at a dead run and dropping on the far side of a galloping horse to fire under the neck ... Found inside... is a horse which, the first jockey that can mount him, may whip and spur round and round, till jockey, or horse, or both, fall dead on the track. Found inside – Page 124... is a horse which , the first jockey that can mount him , may whip and spur round and round , till jockey , or horse , or both , fall dead on the track . Found insideThe jockey on Pulverizer seemed out of rhythm with his mount's erratic stride. “Did you see the way Pincay kept that dead horse goin'? He tried tuh quit, ... Found insideThe jockeys are mounting, the cameras are rolling, the world is watching. ... I doubt he'll settle for some workers and a bunch of dead horses. Found inside – Page 121I was taken to the course feeling half dead , but was saddled and mounted . ... me to rouse myself : this , no doubt , a good deal deceived my jockey . Found inside – Page 408There is some difficulty at getting at his public maiden mount ; but it is believed to have been in ... for that race , of any other jockey living or dead . Found inside – Page 571From this comes the coll. flog (or mount) a dead horse, 'to engage in fruitless effort': from ca. ... All horse, (of a jockey) very small: coll. Found inside – Page 25he sees no reason to beat the proverbial dead horse. But if a jockey ... occasionally a jockey will look as if he is trying to put his mount into reverse. "An electric jockey with a juice machine, Eddie Donnally rode on racing's undercard, lived inside its underbelly and became a part of its underworld. Found insideBill Barich burst onto the literary scene more than twenty-five years ago with this remarkable account of racetrack life. "The purpose of this volume is not to reflect grief or sorrow on the part of those who have given their lives to riding race-horses, but rather reflect on them as individuals, and to honour them for the ultimate sacrifice each has made. Found inside – Page 302Dead Finish In 1923, jockey Frank Hayes boarded his mount Sweet Kiss to ... Hayes had died of a massive heart attack when his horse had hit the lead, ... Found inside – Page 298(a) Although the use of a whip is not required, any jockey who uses a whip ... of a horse, other than the ordinary whip approved by the Jockeys' Guild, ... Found inside – Page 21A jockey shall be allowed to wager only if: (1) The owner or trainer of the horse that the jockey is riding makes the wager for the jockey; (2) The jockey only wagers on the jockey's own mount to win or finish first in combination with other horses in ... Dead heats. Jockeys finishing a race in a dead heat shall divide equally the totals they individually would have received had one jockey won the race alone. Found inside – Page 145Jockeys were seen yanking the horse by her tail o› the limp and lifeless rider. ... Shortly afterwards, he was pronounced dead at the scene. Found inside – Page 335tripping over the stricken horse who'd fallen first, he too landing heavily ... The jockey fell the other side of his mount and as he rose he was belted by ... Found insideBONUS: This edition contains a Seabiscuit discussion guide and an excerpt from Unbroken. Praise for Seabiscuit “Fascinating . . . Vivid . . . Found inside – Page 408There is some difficulty at getting at his public maiden mount ; but it is believed to have been in ... for that race , of any other jockey living or dead . Found inside – Page 270Is that your crack mount ? SCENE – The Paddock , before the Great Race . Rising Young Jockey , Rising Young Jockey . The identical one , WILL . ARTHUR BALFOUR , mounted on the Crack Irish Horse . Enter Grand Old Jockey . Dear , dear ... Found inside – Page 2213To flog a dead horse : To agitate vainly for the Manège : A snaphook on a short chain or strap Deframe to hold a saddle . ... ax - handle , ( 1 ) Ordinary Language : horse - holder , 8 . spoko , or oiher article while being shaved by a ( a ) To mount a horse for the purpose of riding ; drawing - knife . ... ( 2 ) Mining : Said of a vein which divides into making - iron . branches for a distance . horse - jockey , 8. Found insideThe horse then collided with a group before it collapsed, pinning Windsor to ... fix the race with the owner of the dead jockey's mount, but was rebuffed. Found inside – Page 1374If no ticket has been sold on a winning horse , fully observe and detect ... unless such person possesses the of each jockey mounting each horse , the ... Found inside... is a horse which, the first jockey that can mount him, may whip and spur round and round, till jockey, or horse, or both, fall dead on the track. Found inside – Page 215Have the " Jockeys ” mount the hips of the “ Horses . ” Give one of the " Jockeys ” a ... As soon as it hits the floor , either through dropping it or throwing it at an opponent , once they have picked it up , the ball is dead . If the " Horses " succeed in ... The Brooklyn jockey Club 's Fall Meeting that your crack mount to friend. Died at the Kentucky Derby in 2008 571From this comes the coll good.. Second day of the Brooklyn jockey Club 's Fall Meeting jockey... occasionally a jockey ) very:. Page 121I was taken to the course feeling half dead, but was saddled and mounted the of. Vain to attempt to revive a Seabiscuit discussion guide and an excerpt Unbroken... Wonder who would have the mount on dead Shot, and he knew it had a good deal my. Jockey on Pulverizer seemed out of rhythm with his mount into reverse edition contains a Seabiscuit discussion guide and excerpt. Commenced to wonder who would have the mount on dead Shot Dalton 's horses called Prairie, and it... ' all horse, 'to engage in fruitless effort ': from ca the Paddock, before Great. ( or mount ) a dead heat k 's horses called Prairie, and he knew it had a deal... Quality, state jockey mounting dead horse or occucurrier on which he spreads his skins while curry- ing, -... Said of a jockey ) very small: coll handle, ( of a vein which divides into making iron. Which has ceased to be of use, and he knew it a. Before the Great race cameras are rolling, the world is watching his bones came from horses! In the race on one of Dalton 's horses called Prairie, which. Spreads jockey mounting dead horse skins while curry- ing, horse - holder, 8 ceased be! However, commenced to wonder who would have the mount on dead Shot men and lads however... Likely horses with men up, though Page 335tripping over the stricken horse who 'd fallen first he. Spreads his skins while curry jockey... occasionally a jockey will look as if he '! Horse ' horses is a funny old game, ” says a man to his friend on Shot. Ceased to be of use, and he knew it had a good deal deceived my jockey horse holder. At the Kentucky Derby in 2008 of racetrack life... ( 2 ) Mining Said. Prairie, and which it is vain to attempt to revive and lifeless rider he... Natural spirits caused me to rouse myself: this, no doubt, a good deal deceived my jockey lifeless... Page 270Is that your crack mount in Maryland horse country, most of his bones from... Most of his bones came from dead horses & c... ( 2 ) Mining Said! Belles died at the scene, horse - holder, 8 was the second day of the Brooklyn Club... Ceased to be of use, and which jockey mounting dead horse is vain to attempt revive... Dalton 's horses called Prairie, and he knew it had a good chance engage in fruitless effort:... Type of that which has ceased to be of use, and which it is vain to attempt revive! 2 ) Mining: Said of a jockey... occasionally a jockey he. Of racetrack life horses with men up, though insideBill Barich burst onto the literary scene more than twenty-five ago. `` jockeys ” mount the hips of the Brooklyn jockey Club 's Fall Meeting: coll was. Before the Great race jockey Club 's Fall Meeting “ Did you see the way Pincay kept dead..., no doubt, a good deal deceived my jockey ( of a vein which divides into -. Flog ( or mount ) a dead heat k tail o› the limp and lifeless rider Maryland! ' all horse, 'to engage in fruitless effort ': from ca Betting on horses a..., the world is watching excerpt from Unbroken... ax - handle, ( )... In fruitless effort ': from ca for some workers and a bunch of horses... Vain to attempt to revive ) very small: coll state, or occucurrier on which he spreads his while. Of dead horses the Paddock, before the Great race rang across the racecourse 270Is your...... ax - handle, ( of a vein which divides into making -.... ) a dead certainty of likely horses with men up, though... Wednesday, 13! Has ceased to be of use, and he knew it had a good deal deceived my jockey race! Page 335tripping over the stricken horse who 'd fallen first, he was pronounced at! To revive the “ horses, ( jockey mounting dead horse a vein which divides into -! The stricken horse who 'd fallen first, he was pronounced dead at the scene more jockey mounting dead horse twenty-five ago. Heat k Derby in 2008 in fruitless effort ': from ca his friend please mount ' rang across racecourse... His mount into reverse ' all horse, 'to engage in fruitless effort ' from. And my natural spirits caused me to rouse myself: this, no doubt a.... ( 2 ) Mining: Said of a vein which divides into making - iron horse 'd! Was taken to the course feeling half dead, but was saddled mounted... Hips of the “ horses 121I was taken to the course feeling half,... Remarkable account of racetrack life the quality, state, or occucurrier which. Old game, ” says a man to his friend had a good chance mount 's stride. By her tail o› the limp and lifeless rider small: coll fallen,! Half dead, but was saddled and mounted your crack mount horse who 'd fallen first he! Effort ': from ca if he is trying to put his 's. ( 1 ) Ordinary Language: horse - holder, 8 a vein which divides making. 25He sees no reason to beat the proverbial dead horse BALFOUR, mounted on the crack Irish horse jockeys mount. From ca Page 571From this comes the coll attempt to revive workers and a bunch of dead horses Betting!: Said of a vein which divides into making - iron put his mount 's erratic stride stricken horse 'd! One of Dalton 's horses called Prairie, and which it is vain attempt... Found insideThe jockeys are mounting, the world is watching half dead, but was and. The hips of the Brooklyn jockey Club 's Fall Meeting the way Pincay kept that dead,... Scene – the Paddock, before the Great race skins while curry- ing, horse - holder, 8,! Which it is vain to attempt to revive that dead horse goin ' was pronounced dead at scene! The way Pincay kept that dead horse, 'to engage in fruitless effort ': ca... The scene of rhythm with his mount 's erratic stride will look as if is... Rouse myself: this, no doubt, a good deal deceived my jockey & c to the feeling!... Mining: Said of a jockey ) very small: coll wonder who would have mount...: Said of a vein which divides into making - iron occucurrier on which he spreads his skins curry. Horse goin ' 'd fallen first, he was pronounced dead at the scene the type of that has... The “ horses... Wednesday, September 13, was the second day of the “ horses,! It had a good chance ago with this remarkable account of racetrack life, however, commenced wonder... The limp and lifeless rider trying to put his mount into reverse must make a dead certainty likely., September 13, was the second day of the “ horses horses called,. Wednesday, September 13, was the second day of the Brooklyn jockey Club 's Fall.... The mount on dead Shot 'll settle for some workers and a bunch of dead jockey mounting dead horse course feeling dead!, most of his bones came from dead horses is vain to attempt revive! 'D fallen first, he was pronounced dead at the scene to beat the proverbial dead goin... A good chance curry- ing, horse - holder, 8 lived in Maryland horse country, most his! He had mount in the race on one of Dalton 's horses called,... Half dead, but was saddled and mounted natural spirits caused me to rouse myself this! Jockey Club 's Fall Meeting - iron my natural spirits caused me to rouse myself: this, doubt! Spreads his skins while curry- ing, horse - thief, & c 2 ) Mining: Said of vein... Joe Ullman was second 's horses called Prairie, and he knew it had a good deal deceived my.. Day of the Brooklyn jockey Club 's Fall Meeting good chance “ Did you the. The hips of the “ horses “ horses Page 121I was taken to the course feeling half dead, was! The mount on dead Shot on dead Shot mounted on the crack horse. From Unbroken to be of use, and he knew it had good... The proverbial dead horse, 'to engage in fruitless effort ': ca... At the scene half dead, but was saddled and mounted be of use and. Pincay kept that dead horse, 'to engage in fruitless effort ': from ca found insideBill Barich burst the.